Traditional artforms lie at the heart of how we express ourselves and our histories. Established in 2015, The Queensland Traditional Arts Group (QTrad) aims to present high-quality performances and education in music of the Anglo-Celtic traditions, to encourage and promote community-level artistic expression and to reinforce the value of traditional artistic forms and styles. We seek to maintain standards of artistic excellence as well as our links with cultural traditions.
QTrad’s founding membership includes professional musicians, producers and promoters, artists, teachers and researchers. We invite contemporary audiences to experience the authentic flavour and richness of traditional artforms in ways which are engaging, entertaining and fun.
QTrad offers a wide range of performances, themed presentations and educational opportunities, including:
• High quality concert performances of traditional and contemporary music and songs drawing on the Anglo-Celtic traditions
• Themed multimedia presentations of song and story, interpreting the past for modern audiences
• Workshops for a wide range of skill levels and areas of interest
• School presentations for primary and secondary students, linked to relevant curricula and accompanied by support material and teachers’ packs
• Special performances for audiences in hospital and aged-care facilities, with tailored repertoire and lots of opportunities to sing along
• Community dances – Scottish Ceilidhs with dedicated caller to instruct the dancers